With rapid outgrowth of cheap and convenient online migration tools, it’s hard imagining why there would still be a need for on-premise migration software that’s typically outdated and expensive! But, a few concerns surrounding security and reliability of the cloud servers raise the question if there’s a better way!
When Amazon web services collapsed earlier in 2017, it further raised concerns about cloud reliability whereas the event follows many companies getting affected with this. In fact, concerns were far greater following the event of Cloudflare breach earlier in 2017 caused by a major security flaw in the software which exposes a user’s login details, private messages and many other sensitive details from prominent apps such as FitBit, OKCupid and Uber over a period of months.
While the two examples are due to internal errors and nothing relevant to the complicated designs, it still posed a question; if such mistakes tend to happen without any hacker’s assistance, how safe is the data when someone really wishes accessing it!
Public clouds are the most lucrative targets for hackers due to the sheer volumes of sensitive data archived within them. In addition, the rapid technological development surpasses expectations of the regulatory authorities. All of this concludes that the concept of safe and reliable cloud servers for data storage is the story of yesteryear.
Here’s the real thing; cloud being convenient, pocket friendly and accessible anytime, anywhere is most preferred when it comes to store data. While archiving information is one thing, let’s assume you’re engaged with due diligence, it would be easier to mitigate many security and privacy risks associated to the cloud storage.
Even when migrating data on the cloud servers which is something you hope to do just once, it’s imperative to perform the same due diligence thereby ensuring safety when moving from onsite server to the cloud based. Another option is on-premise migration tools that help in moving the data from a company’s server to the cloud without any interference from the intermediaries.
Cloud migration tools
- It’s cost effective with low-entrance subscription models which means you only pay for what you use
- Convenient as there isn’t any need for software installation
- All the latest updates are in your grasp the moment they’re released
- Detailed overview let you track the entire migration progress in a quick and easy way from a single portal
- As data is in the hands of vendor with you having little or no knowledge of where it’s being stored or the points from where it travels, security is compromised to a certain extent
- Reliability is also reduced in case there’s a major power outage. Lost data is irretrievable so that’s the riskiest
- Slow migration means that if any data conversion is necessary like with email migration, it simply adds another step to the process when using cloud migration solution. This is because data need to be uploaded to the vendor’s server, processed and converted before retransferred to the cloud servers
- Secure migration as data is being transferred from your servers directly to the cloud provider with no loops or stops along the way
- Element of reliability is there assuming you’ve selected a reliable tool so that there isn’t a risk of losing data in case there’s a power outage
- Migration is faster since onsite tools convert data first before it moves. This eliminates the need of uploading the details first to vendor’s server for conversion before the transfer begins after selecting a cloud storage platform
- Cost is relatively higher as onsite tools are expansive than cloud. Perpetual licenses also require an upfront payment that’s usually a larger initial investment
- It isn’t all too convenient as on-premiere software requires preliminary installation wherever migration is to be performed. So here comes additional IT resources to chew the budget
For the foreseeable future, there’s still a place for onsite migration tools with benefits of cloud servers that simply outweigh other factors.